Accommodation is provided in labourers' cottages that have been restored to maintain their unique character and spirit of simplicity.
has two bedrooms; one fitted with a double bed and the other with two single beds. The bathroom leads off the main bedroom and has a shower not governed by the whims of Eskom, as solar power provides piping hot water, even during power breaks. The delightfully quaint kitchen is fully equipped and the original huge fireplace has been maintained.
A rietdak stoep provides shade and shelter even for the Familiar Chat, which has stoically refused to move (even during restoration)! The yelping calls of the Fish Eagles can be heard daily and their fishing tactics observed from the koppie on which the cottage is situated.
This cottage is back to back with Fish Eagle, and faces an area of typical Klein Karoo plain and a mountain backdrop. This plain is the hunting ground of our resident Pale Chanting Goshawks, and they are readily observed from the little stoep. The cottage sleeps a couple (double bed), and has also retained its "Hansel and Gretel" look and huge fireplace of bygone days. The bathroom has a shower and toilet and views that could make the mind dwell forever.
These cottages are ideal for couples travelling together. Tariffs
These two cottages are side by side and are mirror images of each other.
Each cottage sleeps two (double bed), has a Victorian bathtub in the bedroom, and toilet discreetly hidden behind reed-clad walls. Restored reed ceilings and original fireplaces in the kitchens enhance their once-upon-a-time atmosphere. A large rietdak stoep with built-in fireplaces completes the picture. Tariffs
Facilities & Tariffs
All cottages are fully equipped with linen (yes, even down and wool duvets for those cold nights, and electric blankets for the very, very cold nights), crockery and cutlery, and everything you could need to pursue your culinary desires on a getaway!
Definitely NO television to distract you from the down-to-earth joys of birdsong, the nocturnal screech of the Barn Owls and calls of the jackals or foxes. Spotted Eagle Owls and Cape Eagle Owls are our other handsome predators often seen and heard at the cottages. The mellow call of the Spotted Eagle Owl male, and the higher pitched triple answering call of the female, have enchanted many a guest on the farm.
Spring bloom of vygie flowers
- Ample parking at your cottage
- Swimming pool & lapa
- Smoking outside only
- Strictly no pets
Follow the winding road...
Per cottage per day:
- Fish Eagle (two bedroom cottage): R1,300.00
- Pale Chanting, Nonnetjie, Bokmakierie (one bedroom cottages): R950.00
- No credit card facilities - payment by transfer or cash. Please note that tariffs reflected above are a guideline and subject to change without notice.
Download a PDF copy of all the information (.pdf 310kb).
Activities & Attractions
Things to do on the farm:
- Birding - nearly 100 species recorded so far!
- Farm dam - just 100 m from the cottages. Watch the Fish Eagles and waterbirds.
- Star-gazing - our clear Karoo skies and absence of ambient light afford excellent stargazing and astrophotography conditions.
- Walking & cycling - quiet farm roads offer many excellent trails.
- Photography - the beautiful light with its many moods through a day, is perfect for photography.
- Pool - Chill out at the pool on hot days or lounge in the shade of the lapa and allow the magic of the mountains to do the rest.
Activities & attractions in the Montagu area:
- Rock climbing
- Walking trails
- Montagu Mountain Nature Reserve & Montagu Nature Garden
- Golf course
- Hot mineral springs
- Wine-tasting, Berry farm & liqueur tasting
- Olives and olive oil tastings
- Tractor trips in the Langeberg mountains or vineyards
- River boat trips
- 4X4 Trails
- Art studios
Where to find us
From Montagu, drive about 7.8 km to the Rietvlei No. 1 turnoff where you turn left. Drive 600 m on dirt road. Turn left where the road splits (onto tar). First gate on the right is us.
- Latitude: -33.828243
- Longitude: 20.199532
Elsjé Carstens | Email us | Cell: +27 (0)82 569 6306 | Fax: +27 (0)86 528 8651